Author Topic: 4H93 Highland  (Read 118 times)

Pappy

• Arch Telechron Elder
4H93 Highland
« on: January 15, 2024, 09:56:50 AM »
Do you guys remember this 4H93 on Ebay recently?

What this country needs is a good $5 parts clock.

Pappy

• Arch Telechron Elder
Re: 4H93 Highland
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 09:59:48 AM »
It had a perfect bakelite case so for $10, how could I go wrong?

Scanned the dial.  Cleaned it up with Paint Shop and sent it to Sticker Mule.

Pappy

• Arch Telechron Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2024, 10:00:25 AM »
Yay!  Happy ending.

Mrbill5

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 10:37:26 AM »
Looks really good.
I saw the listing.  At first I thought the crystal was cracked but it was a loose second hand.

Pappy

• Arch Telechron Elder
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2024, 10:49:21 AM »
Thanks.  I did  forget one thing.  The movement wouldn't turn after I assembled it.  The idler wheel on the rear plate was completely destroyed.  I think that happens when the rotor seizes and someone tries to force the set knob. You can just barely make it out in the photos.  The only similar rear plate I had in the parts box was all rusty so I decided to replace just that gear.  Since it was junk, I just pried it off.  This left me with plenty of metal on the post.  That gear is very common so I took it off some old rear plate after filing down the rivet.  I swapped it,  put that itty bitty washer on and GENTLY gave it a couple of raps with the ballpein.  Somehow my gorilla hands didn't completely destroy it.  I don't know how guys fix watches--this stuff is plenty small enough for me!

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2024, 09:20:13 PM »
So... are you "giving" it away for $10, plus shipping?....

Pappy

• Arch Telechron Elder
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 12:02:19 PM »
I can't find the one I thought I had so for the time being, this one stays.  These never go for much.  People like bakelite but this one doesn't spark desire for some reason.

Larry

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2024, 02:51:37 PM »
There's a nice looking one of these in an ebay auction now waiting for a $30 bid: www.ebay.com/itm/156005546075.

Larry

Telechrony

• Telechronie
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2024, 12:28:40 PM »
Great results as always Pappy @@*
Is Paint Shop the photo editing software you have used in the past? I've been using Photoshop 7; I know, so old it's got whiskers, but I'm familiar with it. Anyway, it's way past time to upgrade and I'm wondering how the current versions of Photoshop & Paint Shop compare.
I'd like to say, what I mean to say, will occur to me long after I've gone....... *^!

Pappy

• Arch Telechron Elder
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2024, 04:19:20 PM »
I'm not against change but it has to be painless.  People say change is hard but good change is EASY.   Like if you buy a new car.  Your old car was crappy and you get a new one and everything works and that's an easy change.  But the Paint Shop I use is from 2001 and it's got problems but I get good results mostly and I recognize where it's gonna fail me mostly.  If I could get a trial version of Photoshop, I'd try it.   And if it worked great and was intuitive, I'd love to switch.   I mentioned before that I tried Gimp and that seems like it came out of the Bizarro World--nothing works like I want or expect.  But I've never actually tried Photoshop to actually answer your question!

Telechrony

• Telechronie
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2024, 12:44:59 PM »
I guess that change is something we all have to deal with. For me, upgrading to something I'm already familiar with seems the easiest way to go, but I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to Photoshop's least costly $20 per month subscription fee.
I'd like to say, what I mean to say, will occur to me long after I've gone....... *^!

Pappy

• Arch Telechron Elder
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2024, 08:03:22 PM »
I guess that change is something we all have to deal with. For me, upgrading to something I'm already familiar with seems the easiest way to go, but I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to Photoshop's least costly $20 per month subscription fee.

Yeah, I'm too much of a cheapskate to subscribe to software!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk