Author Topic: 2H07 - Buffet  (Read 5757 times)

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
2H07 - Buffet
« on: April 12, 2010, 08:30:43 PM »
Here's the blue Buffet, $25...it was once painted gold...I need to get the rest of the gold paint off...suggestions?  Paint stripper?

history....http://telechron.net/forager/index.php?topic=20.msg9800
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 09:51:13 PM by Kid Clock »

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
Re: 2H07 - Buffet
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 08:39:53 PM »
Here's the back plate... at first I thought someone had cut out the oval, upon further examination, I see it's stock.  The label said something like...

Directions
When mounting clock over recessed ......arranged with ......., remove screws (securing) clock back.  Force out directions under this instruction to pass plug and shortened length of cord through.  Securely replace back.  Wrap unwanted cord, tuck excess cord in case.

Maybe someone has a tag that hasn't been pushed out...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 09:15:21 PM by Kid Clock »

jeffjhj

• Clock Talker 1st Class
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 08:55:49 PM »
Kid I used Castrol Super Clean purple stuff in one gallon from walmart  on a 2H20  The Epicure with great results. Pour the castrol in a plastic  pail and let the body soak until you see the paint start to come off. Then just wipe off the rest. Should work on the buffet also.

Silverdollar Productions

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 11:28:51 PM »
Yea, I'd have to agree with Jeff on that.  I'm confident with aggressive stripper on clocks like the Garcon, but I've never used it on plastic.  It might do just fine, but before using it on a good clock, I'd try it on some scrap clock first.  I'm not sure how the plastic would react to a harsh chemical.  The last thing you would want is for a section of the clock to warp or something.

Like Jeff said, a nice, gentle solvent would probably be your safest bet, but avoid any type of abrasive when removing the paint. It would be a shame to get all the paint off and then find out you scratched the plastic beyond repair.  Frankly, I wouldn't trust anything more than one of those sponge-type pot scrubbers or paper towel.  If the paint is loose enough, it should come off without very much effort.

OldTechFan

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 11:45:59 PM »
I have no experience with the Buffet, but it was made into the 1950's, a very good chance they changed from thermoset, ie "you pick the solvent, I'll stay okay  ;D".. to thermoplastic polystyrene, ie " you pick the solvent, I go away"...  :'(  .  SD makes a great suggestion to find out which you have there.. small corner test.. or some heat - a fraction of a second with a soldering iron on an obsure part of an inner boss to look for melting.. or not melting (I have NOT tried this on any clock .. yet..YMMV)

Pappy

• Arch Telechron Elder
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 05:22:40 AM »
If it's beetle, it'll handle Citristrip.  That's what I used on my blue one.
What this country needs is a good $5 parts clock.

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 11:07:24 PM »
Here's an ad from LIFE Jul 2, 1945... note the War reference...

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 01:29:21 PM »
Here's the cleaned up unit... I decided to leave the face untouched.  It has a slight browning, but on this clock it looks ok...

I got the gold spray paint off with Pappy's Citristrip...it worked perfectly.  No effect on the finish of the beetle whatsoever...

(...yes, I even cleaned the gold out of the entire inside of the case.)

Now..., does anyone have a baby boy or a teenage girl?

Dabeagle

• Senior Telechronie
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 01:38:46 PM »
Tom, that clock is sweet, I love the color. lol

Geezer

• Senior Telechronie
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 01:46:56 PM »
Tom, that clock is sweet, I love the color. lol

My thoughts exactly! How did you get that deep royal blue? Did you give it lots of PlastX? Most of the blue Buffets look washed out compared to yours.
He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 01:50:41 PM »
The image is a correct representation of the actual color.  I didn't polish it at all.  I simply stripped it with the Citristrip.  The underlying finish was very clean.  Maybe the gold paint protected it.  Hmmmm....perhaps I should paint it ....say....green?

Dabeagle

• Senior Telechronie
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 02:01:34 PM »
 *v-

Pappy

• Arch Telechron Elder
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 03:59:53 PM »
Gorgeous.  The blue is super nice.  Great work on the restore.  Looks like you hit the jackpot; no cracks under the gold paint and a great dial. *^!

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 04:31:06 PM »
Actually, bought this one in real life in Arizona...I carefully examined the entire unit...not the same style of risk on ebay that we're used to...

Spotted it, waited a day.  Boink was counseling via email chat at the hotel...he says, "Buy it, you jerk*..."..."But, it's blue"...."Buy it, you nut*, $25 is a deal for a blue Buffet!"

Went back and slapped the $25 on the barrelhead.  Packed it in the airplane checked luggage**...made it back to Tejas safely...heh..heh...

* - edited for general audiences
** - bags fly for free on Southwest
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 04:44:25 PM by Kid Clock »

OldTechFan

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 04:42:48 PM »
Actually, bought this one in real life in Arizona...I carefully examined the entire unit...not the same style of risk on ebay that we're used to...

Spotted it, waited a day.  Boink was counseling via email chat at the hotel...he says, "Buy it, you jerk*..."..."But, it's blue"...."Buy it, you nut*, $25 is a deal for a blue Buffet!"

Went back and slapped the $25 on the barrelhead.  Packed it in the airplane checked luggage...made it back to Tejas safely...heh..heh...

* - edited for general audiences
  Love that Blue Kid - very nice... would that be Phoenix or Tucson area   :^@

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 04:45:47 PM »
Prescott....you know OTF...there's a ivory Consort with a bogus baking powder ad face hidden away in the bowels of one of those antique shops....I bet the orginal face is in there...$48...otherwise sweet condition...you up for a road trip?...for me, maybe next time...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 04:55:52 PM by Kid Clock »

OldTechFan

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 05:17:35 PM »
Prescott....you know OTF...there's a ivory Consort with a bogus baking powder ad face hidden away in the bowels of one of those antique shops....I bet the orginal face is in there...$48...otherwise sweet condition...you up for a road trip?...for me, maybe next time...
  cool... not right away - that's a reasonable 5 hours, $50 S&H (ie gas  ;) ) trip....  have to say that Az has been pretty reasonable for Telechron pickups.. I think it might the migration of the  original buyers here to retire.. and now their kids retiring...  not as rich an area as there must be back in Mass...  |-&

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 09:34:41 PM »
... gave it to boinker... the old man... he's got it, as far as I know.

Pappy

• Arch Telechron Elder
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2018, 02:28:11 PM »
I couldn't pass up Larry's red Buffet case.  I put it to good use.

The donor:

Pappy

• Arch Telechron Elder
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2018, 02:28:41 PM »
Progress...

Pappy

• Arch Telechron Elder
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2018, 02:33:12 PM »
Done.  I had to replace the set gear as it was all bent out of shape.  Why?  WD-40 had frozen the movement.   I set pinion on the shaft had one bent tooth where ape-boy tried to force it.  It bent back OK.  I also shortened that set shaft a wee bit to good effect.  It just looks wrong when it sticks out past the knob, doesn't it?  I couldn't stand it.  I'll be honest, the case deserves a better dial than we've go here.  This is a post-War dial which isn't wrong for a plaskon case but this one has all the red faded off and it's a little discolored.  I reserve the right to stick a better dial on this as soon as I locate one.  The bezel on this is A+ though.

Happy New Year!

Larry

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 03:34:08 PM »
Very nice, Pappy.  Here is a picture of what was in that pretty red case (don't look if you are prone to nightmares).

Larry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk