Author Topic: Great section! - What else do you all collect? Let's see some images!!  (Read 7228 times)

henny

• Telechron Elder
    • Telechron Rotor Site
Here are a couple (sulfur dioxide refrigeration):
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 09:36:01 AM by henny »

Sir Dingly Dang

• Senior Clock Talker
Re: Great section! - What else do you all collect? Let's see some images!!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 10:45:35 PM »
Here's my late 60's/70's era MBTA bus/streetcar farebox.
Made by Keene (Johnson) farebox co. Runs off a 12 volt power supply. It all works. I dump my pocket change into it every day.
Hit the lever about once a week. Great ka-chung ka-chung ka-chung sound as it counts the coins.
I'm a relatively respectable citizen. A multiple felon perhaps, but certainly not dangerous.  -  Raoul Duke

henny

• Telechron Elder
    • Telechron Rotor Site
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 09:35:23 AM »
A few fans:

Henry

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 03:22:28 PM »
I don't collect refrigerators, but I own a Servel gas refrigerator vintage 1950 that sees daily use in my summer camp
 in the Adirondacks, where there is no electric service (and no Telechron/GE clocks!). This item has no moving
 parts and really nothing to maintain except cleaning the burner tube periodically (little rust flakes break off the
 cast iron flue and fall into the tube, limiting oxygen input; resultant carbon monoxide from incomplete combustion
 is not friendly to human life). The main problem with these Servels is that the refrigerant, which is some kind of
 ammmonia-containing brew, will eventually eat through the sealed system piping and escape; when that happens,
 it's "goodbye old fridge." Meanwhile, propane consumption (fridge, cookstove, and gas lights) yields about 5-6 days
 service from a 20-lb. tank, c.10 days for a 30-lb. Sure beats hauling ice! (Sorry, no pictures; you'll just have to wait
 'til next summer!)

I guess the oldest item I "collect," though I own only one, is my 1917 Victrola XI, on which I enjoy listening to Caruso recordings made in 1909. Think about it: do you really believe that your mp3s, CDs, DVDs, iPod whatevers, etc., will be useable in year 2109? Yet here is a device that can transmit the voice of the dead from a century ago right to our ears today. (For an image, you'll have to wait until I finish the next roll of film---and that's another story right there! Meanwhile, visit http://www.victor-victrola.com/XI.htm for a look at an identical machine; mine is like the mahogany one pictured below on that page. Caution: the site in that link can be habit forming. Don't blame me if you end up spending hours navigating around enjoying the riches.)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 03:36:27 PM by Henry »

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 04:04:31 PM »
I better be able to listen to my mp3's in 2109 or I'm going to be mad.

shipnerd

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 04:40:19 PM »

I guess the oldest item I "collect," though I own only one, is my 1917 Victrola XI, on which I enjoy listening to Caruso recordings made in 1909. Think about it: do you really believe that your mp3s, CDs, DVDs, iPod whatevers, etc., will be useable in year 2109? Yet here is a device that can transmit the voice of the dead from a century ago right to our ears today. (For an image, you'll have to wait until I finish the next roll of film---and that's another story right there! Meanwhile, visit http://www.victor-victrola.com/XI.htm for a look at an identical machine; mine is like the mahogany one pictured below on that page. Caution: the site in that link can be habit forming. Don't blame me if you end up spending hours navigating around enjoying the riches.)

I have a 1915 Victrola floor model identical to the one on the right of that site. It's at my dad's house in Florida right now along with my 1940 Zenith 10-S-464 radio. :(
"Well aren't you just a fun-filled little lollipop triple-dipped in psycho."

Henry

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 08:30:55 PM »
I better be able to listen to my mp3's in 2109 or I'm going to be mad.

Kid, don't wait---better be mad *now* or you may miss your chance ;o)

Shipnerd, congratulations on owning a XI. That oak finish is really nice! I hope it's in a fairly dry environment down in FL (is that possible?). When the Victrola actually comes into your possession, you might be interested in this site: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/ . There are some really knowledgeable and helpful folks on the board who welcome "newbies" and get them going with their machines.

Dingly, Johnson, out of Chicago, was a prolific maker of fare boxes and coin changers (back in the day when conductors, motormen, and drivers actually made change on board, and "exact fare" was an unknown term). In fact, the Johnson changer is still being made and marketed today by a California firm, Lynde-Ordway, and I purchased a four-barrel changer a few years ago from them, very similar to the ones that the operators used down in New Orleans when I was a kid riding the cars in the '50s. Here's their web address: http://lyndeordway.thomasnet.com/category/money-handling-bill-coin-changers

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 09:09:31 PM »
Kid, don't wait---better be mad *now* or you may miss your chance ;o)

no....I'm cool...I can wait until 2109 to get mad on this matter...

shipnerd

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 09:45:35 PM »

Shipnerd, congratulations on owning a XI. That oak finish is really nice! I hope it's in a fairly dry environment down in FL (is that possible?). When the Victrola actually comes into your possession, you might be interested in this site: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/ . There are some really knowledgeable and helpful folks on the board who welcome "newbies" and get them going with their machines.

Thanks, I'll definitely look into the forum! I really wish I had that Victrola with me today. Unfortunately I couldn't bring it or the radio with me when I moved from Michigan to California in 1990. My dad's been good enough to keep those for me all these years and I DESPERATELY want them back! ;) 

The radio has been in the family since new. My mom's mother bought it  in 1939 and my mom remembers listening to all the old radio shows on it. Her favorite was Baby Snooks!

I bought the Victrola for $140.00 back in 1978. The guy I bought it from claimed his mom bought it several years earlier for $5.00 from some old guy who had kept it in his barn. The only damage to it is some small pieces of missing veneer from one side, and a big crack at the back of the lid where it split after the movers dropped it from a second floor balcony when they were trying to get it out of the house!!!  *}} Why they didn't even bother to try taking it down the stairs, I'll never know! At least they repaired it, and did a pretty decent job of it too.

Henry

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 12:05:19 PM »

I bought the Victrola for $140.00 back in 1978. The guy I bought it from claimed his mom bought it several years earlier for $5.00 from some old guy who had kept it in his barn. The only damage to it is some small pieces of missing veneer from one side, and a big crack at the back of the lid where it split after the movers dropped it from a second floor balcony when they were trying to get it out of the house!!!  *}} Why they didn't even bother to try taking it down the stairs, I'll never know! At least they repaired it, and did a pretty decent job of it too.

Well, the XI weighs a ton, or so it seems; but two grown men should have been able to handle it easily down a flight of stairs. Without seeing the damage I can't venture a guess as to how to repair it, but there are some very skilled guys on the Victrola board who have "been there, done that," and they'll be more than happy to give you the benefit of their collective experience.

MBerner, that Stromberg radio is a beaut! I attended college in Rochester, NY, where Stromberg had a facility, and I once owned a vintage 1950s Stromberg high-fidelity tube-type amp/preamp. But it was monaural, so I didn't keep it once stereo came in. It was a tank, though, and very rugged and reliable.

Henry

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 12:11:17 PM »

To this listener, the aroma of a warm Bakelite radio is positively intoxicating.   ;D

When I smell the aroma of warm Bakelite emanating from my 1H1308, I'll know that it's fried another coil!

shipnerd

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 02:23:43 PM »

Well, the XI weighs a ton, or so it seems; but two grown men should have been able to handle it easily down a flight of stairs. Without seeing the damage I can't venture a guess as to how to repair it, but there are some very skilled guys on the Victrola board who have "been there, done that," and they'll be more than happy to give you the benefit of their collective experience.

The damage was done back in the early '80s, and unfortunately I wasn't there to supervise or it never would have been damaged at all. My mom was keeping it for me at the time while I was in the Air Force and she was moving from Arizona back to Michigan. I think she was busy in another part of the house when the movers dropped it. When it fell the lid split along the back just above the hinge. The split happened in such a way that you can't even see it when the lid is open, but you can see a crack along the back of it. Admittedly whoever did the repair actually did a pretty good job of it. At least it landed in the bushes in front of the house, or I likely wouldn't have the Victrola at all!

Henry

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 07:15:09 PM »

To this listener, the aroma of a warm Bakelite radio is positively intoxicating.   ;D

When I smell the aroma of warm Bakelite emanating from my 1H1308, I'll know that it's fried another coil!

How about a photo of your 1H1308?  :-()

I'll take the easy way out and refer you to http://www.telechrontime.net/postwar/1h1308.htm . Mine is almost exactly the same as the one on the left, except at the bottom of the face is printed "Telechron Inc.  Ashland Mass.
 U S A". Looks like the one in the picture doesn't have the full inscription.

henny

• Telechron Elder
    • Telechron Rotor Site
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 09:08:16 PM »
Come on gang, let's see some more images of what else you collect!!

aeiouser

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 05:11:27 PM »
before i started collecting pre WWII Telechron clocks i was collecting pre WWII vintage radios. i have a little collection of tube radios, actually a big collection of pre 1939 radios. my house is decorated pre WWII.

here are but afew pre 1935 radios. my favorites are these little depression era small radios.

Belmont Model 525 - 1932
Gilifillan Model 30 - 1933
General Television Model A - 1935
Sparton Model 61 - 1935

Pappy

• Arch Telechron Elder
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 05:47:17 AM »
Nice radios.  I wonder why a company would call itself General Television in 1935?  Nobody ever heard of TV before 1939.
What this country needs is a good $5 parts clock.

Henry

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 05:21:42 PM »
Well, gang, evidently our Pappy is not a W.C. Fields fan, or he would be familiar with the movie "International House"
 (1933!) in which television plays a very important part in the plot (such as it is; the movie is largely a vehicle to
 showcase the talents[?] of then-popular personalities such as Col. Stoopnagle and Bud, Baby Marie, Burns and
Allen, Peggy Hopkins Joyce, et al.). A high moment in the script occurs when a naval vessel on the TV screen is shot
 with a pistol by Fields, and water comes pouring out of the TV set into the room. A real thigh-slapper....

Henry

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 09:51:08 AM »
In re: early television, Google up "Vladimir Zworykin", and/or see
 http://inventors.about.com/od/xzstartinventors/a/Zworykin.htm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk