Author Topic: My first 711 clock  (Read 324 times)

Mrbill5

• Telechronie
My first 711 clock
« on: January 11, 2020, 04:30:10 PM »
Always wanted one of the 700 series metal alarm clocks.  Finally found a "needs repair" 711 on Ebay for $30.  Case looked good but dirty.  Cord was cut off, face looked good but dirty.  One of my first attempts at rehabbing 700 series clocks was my own Skyscraper over a year ago.  Man that was a challenge and it still has a coil buzz.  The 711 brought back memories of the what were they thinking clock design.  The rotor was replaced in the past with a B13.  I think they cut the cord off because the rotor repair did not fix the clock.  Typical 80-90 year old solidified lube everywhere.  Everything cleaned up well.  The case has some slight marring but luckily it was not pitted.  I think it may end up a shelf queen, right now it is keeping time in the livingroom.
The clock was missing the alarm set knob.  Made my own from 2 brass 4-28 brass nuts that I soldered together and filed to shape.  Yesterday I picked up a true parts 711 on Ebay for $10.  It has the knobs so I will be moving those around.  It is a disease.

19and41

• Telechronie
Re: My first 711 clock
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 02:19:50 PM »
It looks a lot better than most I see on Ebay.

Mrbill5

• Telechronie
Re: My first 711 clock
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 06:53:27 PM »
Thanks.
It came out nice.  I rate it a 8 out of 10.
The parts clock 711 I got is another catagory.  The case is somewhat pitted, the movement cleaned up well.  It was very dirty, grungy inside. The rotor is still functional.  The crystal has some corner damages but still intact.  The bottom light difussor is missing.  The biggest issue is part of the buzzer is gone.  The buzzer slightly buzzes, the bell clanger part is gone. So it is going to get cleaned up, and back on Ebay.  A good sub $10 clock.
Ironically all the original knobs were intact.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk