Author Topic: Telechron 1L715  (Read 189 times)

Larry

• Telechron Elder
Telechron 1L715
« on: June 02, 2019, 09:29:45 AM »
Last week at the local flea market, I saw a large lighted Telechron commercial clock.  The seller had a $150 price on it, but offered to sell it to me for $110.  He eventually came down to $100, but I wasn't entirely impressed given that the clock had been dismantled and incorrectly reassembled and had some (hopefully only minor) parts missing.  I left the clock there and returned home, but later found that these clocks are rather rare and somewhat valuable.  I returned to the flea market this morning, and the clock was back.  This time, the seller offered to sell it to me for $95, so i bought it.  I hope that I didn't make a mistake.  Here are two pictures of the clock fresh from the flea market.  I haven't yet attempted to do anything with it.

Larry

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
Re: Telechron 1L715
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 07:10:44 PM »
I looks like you made a good deal.  (Some might say a steal.)  Both glass pieces appear to be great.  No shipping. (These often crack in shipping...) 

Larry

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 09:42:12 PM »
Both the crystal and glass dial are in good condition.  The back side of the dial was horribly dirty, and gently rubbing it with a damp cloth or sponge did almost nothing to remove the dirt/soot.  I experimented with diluted "LA's Totally Awesome All-Purpose Cleaner" and a melamine foam sponge, and it cut quickly through the filth without damaging the paint, so now the dial is clean.  All of the screws which hold the case together are missing, so I need to find suitable replacements.  The case has some rust, so I plan to repaint it.  I dismantled and cleaned the pull-chain switch because I was measuring very high DC resistance through it.  I haven't looked at the movement or rotor yet.  I hope that this clock comes out well.  I spent more on it than on almost any other clock.

Larry

Larry

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 09:44:26 AM »
As I have been working on this clock, I noticed that one of the wires going to each bulb socket is actually resistive with asbestos insulation (because it would become hot when the current is flowing through the bulb).  I measured the resistance at about 155Ω.  Why did GE/Telechron do that?  Was it not possible to use lower lower light bulbs?  I am wondering if I should replace the wires and find low power bulbs.

Larry

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 08:22:07 PM »
Dang... just rewire everything and run equivalent led bulbs.  Problem solved.

Pappy

• Arch Telechron Elder
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 10:47:54 AM »
As I have been working on this clock, I noticed that one of the wires going to each bulb socket is actually resistive with asbestos insulation (because it would become hot when the current is flowing through the bulb).  I measured the resistance at about 155Ω.  Why did GE/Telechron do that?  Was it not possible to use lower lower light bulbs?  I am wondering if I should replace the wires and find low power bulbs.

Larry

I ran into those wires on a #6 ad clock.  Blew my mind.  I kept stripping more and more "insulation" back looking for copper!  I'm still weirded out by it.   ?-?
What this country needs is a good $5 parts clock.

Larry

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 12:40:29 PM »
In the late 1930s, some small radios were made with resistive power cords which would drop the voltage to the tube filaments.  Radio collectors call these sets "curtain burners" because the power cords would become very hot which the radios were on, and they would tend to ignite flammable things, such as curtains, which were too close to them.

I didn't find any appropriate low wattage bulbs at the hardware stores, so I will probably put the wires back as they are if and when I reassemble the clock.  I have been having an awful time finding paint which is anywhere near the color of the original.  I plan to try a hobby shop or two next.  I really don't want to use the dark oil rubber bronze paint which I used on a couple of other large wall Telechrons.

Larry

Larry

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 03:50:35 PM »
I have a GE electric fan from the 1940s which is a very similar, if not the same, metallic bronze color.  I therefore searched on the AFCA forum and found a suggestion from several years back about Dupli-Color bronze wheel coating paint being a close match.  Has anyone here tried that paint?

Larry

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 06:15:08 PM »
Many large wall clocks seemed to feature this color...

http://telechron.net/forager/index.php?topic=1237.msg14587#msg14587

Larry

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 08:43:17 PM »
Many large wall clocks seemed to feature this color...

http://telechron.net/forager/index.php?topic=1237.msg14587#msg14587

I think that that color is much darker than this clock.  I have a can of oil rubbed bronze paint (Krylon, I think), and I have used it on a couple of Telechrons, but it is much darker than the 1L715.

Larry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk