Author Topic: Long Tube Door Chimes  (Read 388 times)

Pat_L

• Telechron Elder
Long Tube Door Chimes
« on: February 20, 2019, 03:41:37 PM »
I've got a few of them, and like the ones made by Nutone most of all, partly because they use Telechron motors.  Some others also use Telechron motors, like some made by Rittenhouse.  But this one seems pretty interesting because they used not just the Telechron motor, but the whole clock, which happens to be a 7F57, just slightly modified for use here.

It has the most heavy-duty chime mechanism that I've seen, with an industrial-looking 110 volt motor with gearbox to drive the chime camshaft.  I think it could have been done more simply with a Telechron B3 motor, or a type C motor if more power was needed.

The patent that covers this chime was awarded to F. B. Little of Chicago.  He received other patents that he assigned to Deagan Chime Co., but this patent isn't assigned to any company, so it's unclear whether it was made by Deagan or not.  A similar unit was shown on the Eureka-Modern website a few years back, and later on the Knock Doorbell website that is operated by the same person.  The Eureka-Modern/Knock Doorbell chime included chime tubes marked "Deagan".  That doesn't prove that they also made the complete chime unit, but they may have.  Mine didn't come with tubes, so I'm going to substitute Herschede tubes with the same tuning.

Attached are a few pictures.
Art and Service      :::::::     Always Observatory Time

Pat_L

• Telechron Elder
Re: Long Tube Door Chimes
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 03:49:01 PM »
And attached here is the patent.

And here is a link to the Eureka-Modern page showing a similar mechanism:
http://www.eurekamodern.com/vintage_door_chimes_buried_treasure.htm

And here is a link to the Knock Doorbell page that is describing the same Eureka-Modern chime, but in a different way:
http://www.knockdoorbells.com/history_lostandfound.htm
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 04:39:45 PM by Pat_L »

19and41

• Telechronie
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 09:48:45 PM »
The church we attended when I was a child had Deagan chimes.  They were controlled at the church organ.  Hadn't read nor heard the the name in around 50 years.

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 06:46:36 PM »
That is cool.  Can you post a movie of it in action?

Pat_L

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 08:19:49 PM »
That is cool.  Can you post a movie of it in action?
KC,
I haven't powered it up yet.  I'll try to get motivated to do that soon.  It was found on eBay 3-4 years ago, so you can see that I don't move very fast.

Pat_L

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 08:34:50 PM »
The church we attended when I was a child had Deagan chimes.  They were controlled at the church organ.  Hadn't read nor heard the the name in around 50 years.
They were a large producer of church chimes, and also made marimbas, xylophones, and other musical instruments.  They even made the three note chime bell that NBC used to play on radio and TV.
http://www.nbcchimes.info/dnbc.php

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk