Author Topic: 8H59 Musalarm  (Read 138 times)

shipnerd

• Telechron Elder
8H59 Musalarm
« on: March 02, 2019, 05:00:31 PM »
Picked up this Musalarm today at the Antique Expo for $25.00, seller wanted $50.00. The cabinet is in good condition and all the knobs are there. The clock works but the radio doesn't power on and the tubes don't light up. There is a wire that has become disconnected, don't know yet what it connects to. Everything else appears to be there. It will be a good project to try and get up and running again. 
"Well aren't you just a fun-filled little lollipop triple-dipped in psycho."

Larry

• Telechron Elder
Re: 8H59 Musalarm
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 08:30:32 PM »
The radio may have a bad tube, but it is not a good idea to turn it on without checking it and replacing capacitors and other parts.  Serious damage and/or a fire could result.  The radio can most probably be restored to working condition, but I believe that those are TRF sets, so their performance on weak stations will not be very good.

Larry

shipnerd

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 11:15:15 PM »
I don't think it could be a tube, but I did come to the conclusion that the loose wire is part of the power for the radio. When I took the chassis out of the case it's very dusty but doesn't appear to have any indications of any kind of electrical short.

I believe to get power back to the radio I would have to reconnect that wire, but I'm not exactly sure where it connects to. My guess is that it connects to the coil for the clock. The power cord is connected to the coil as usual. There's a wire that then runs from the coil to the On/Off switch and another wire that runs from the switch to the radio. That's why I think the loose wire connects to the other tab on the coil with the power cord.

Larry

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 12:04:13 AM »
It could be that a wire for supplying power to the radio has come loose, or someone intentionally disconnected it to prevent the radio from being powered on.  There are diagrams for that set here: http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel/792/M0021792.pdf.

Larry

shipnerd

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 04:32:39 PM »
I wanted to see if i could get the radio to power up so I did  temporary connection with the loose wire to the coil and the radio came on. I was able to tune in some stations and it sounded fine. However after I soldered the wire in place for a permanent connection all I get now is low static with no stations coming in. Not sure what's wrong.

Larry

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 05:25:28 PM »
If the capacitors have not been replaced, they probably should be.  The first thing that I would check though is that all of the tubes are making good contact in the sockets.  I always clean the tube pins with a rotary tool wire brush, and I tighten up the sockets so that they will grab the tube pins well.  Doing those things may fix this radio.

Larry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk