Author Topic: What is This Clock? - Gilbert #1250  (Read 252 times)

Larry

• Telechron Elder
What is This Clock? - Gilbert #1250
« on: September 09, 2018, 02:02:22 PM »
I bought this clock today at a flea market for $15 (I am sure that it was not a bargain).  I have not found any name or markings of any kind on it so far.  Does someone here know who made it and when?  The quality does not look too bad.  Here are pictures of the front and the back with the cover removed.

Thank You

Larry
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 12:42:18 PM by Larry »

Larry

• Telechron Elder
Re: What is This Clock?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 06:32:11 PM »
I noticed that there actually are all sorts of things stamped into the back of the case, but they are all covered with thick hammered finish paint making them almost impossible to see.  At any rate, I found that this is a Gilbert clock from Winsted, CN.  I don't know much more about it.

Larry

Pappy

• Arch Telechron Elder
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 11:50:34 AM »
I was thinking Gilbert motor.
What this country needs is a good $5 parts clock.

Chadakoin

• Clock Talker 2nd Class
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 05:18:09 PM »
Found this on the Reverse Time website:

http://uv201.com/Clock_Pages/gilbert_lucite.htm

ChefK

• Clock Talker 2nd Class
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 07:23:00 PM »
Interesting that the motor was designed by an Arthur Poole, I have 5 or 6 of the Poole hipp toggle/battery clocks and that was Arthur F. Poole.  Turns out this Gilbert motor was invented by his son, Arthur B. Poole.  Also interesting that lucite could be injection molded, I had only seen lucite clock cases from Seth Thomas and Telechron in very simple squares or rectangles...good links and a good find Larry. 

Larry, is that alarm bell cast iron? And can it be easily removed to show the motor?

Larry

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 09:47:04 PM »
Thank you for the information.  According to the web page, the back of the case was chrome plated, but mine is covered with thick gray paint which hides all of the wording stamped into the case.  I will probably want to strip off the paint.

The big round thing in the picture of the back is the motor, and the smaller cylindrical thing is a cover over the alarm buzzer coil.  The lucite case is easy to separate from the movement, and it looks like the movement is held together with four nuts.  I have yet to dismantle it for cleaning.  Unlike the one on the web page referenced and one or two others I managed to find online which have clear lucite, mine is pink.  I suppose that my clock is somewhat rare.  Perhaps it is worth the $15 I paid.  I might post some pictures of the movement from my disassembly of it.

I also bought a blue 3F65 Iris from the same seller for another $15.  It is in mostly good condition, except for a bad spot on the mirror.

Larry

19and41

• Telechronie
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 05:26:11 PM »
Nice clock!  Lucite is such a good looking material!

Larry

• Telechron Elder
Re: What is This Clock? - Gilbert #1250
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 12:47:29 PM »
I reassembled the clock yesterday, and it works well.  I managed to strip the paint off of the back cover and saw why someone had painted it.  The chrome plating is in horrible condition.  The alarm set knob was missing, and the threads on the end of the stem were damaged, but I managed to screw a brass acorn nut over it, so I can set the alarm.  I am attaching pictures of the back cover, the movement, and the motor with the cover and rotor removed.

Larry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk