Author Topic: 3H77 Advocate Texileather Preservation  (Read 467 times)

jon.ing@verizon.net

• Clock Talker 2nd Class
  • Jon
3H77 Advocate Texileather Preservation
« on: March 14, 2018, 07:04:06 PM »
Hi fellow Telechroners:

I recently purchased a 3H77 Advocate.  It's the one with black fake leather finish that they called Texileather.  I got the guts of the clock running and looking great.  My wife has helped by tacking down some of the Texileather covering. The front is  almost completely intact, and the rear is pretty good.   She is concerned, because the Texileather is very dried out.  Anyone have any suggestions how to safely soften, and perhaps preserve it.

Thanks so much.

Pappy

• Arch Telechron Elder
Re: 3H77 Advocate Texileather Preservation
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 07:50:35 PM »
Do you mean she tracked down some old, un-used dried-out Textileather?
What this country needs is a good $5 parts clock.

cable ulysses

• Telechronie
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 08:38:36 PM »

I recently purchased a 3H77 Advocate.  It's the one with black fake leather finish that they called Texileather.  I got the guts of the clock running and looking great.  My wife has helped by tacking down some of the Texileather covering. The front is  almost completely intact, and the rear is pretty good.   She is concerned, because the Texileather is very dried out.  Anyone have any suggestions how to safely soften, and perhaps preserve it.

It appears that stuff is something called "Tolex" which is apparently still sold.  You might hunt around for treatments for it, but I bet Armor-all would work as well as anything.

It's apparently still used to cover guitar amps, etc.

See, e.g., http://www.ebay.com/bhp/tolex

jon.ing@verizon.net

• Clock Talker 2nd Class
  • Jon
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 09:25:11 PM »
No,  she was able to use a mild adhesive to get the original Textileather to adhere to the wood in the front, where it had bubbled up.  What she wants to do is soften it up so that she can repair the section in the back.  She is concerned that pushing the material down will cause it to crack.

I didn't know one could purchase new Textileather, though I wonder if we could match the gold accent trim.  I have enclosed pictures. On the front there is a split you can which she thinks she can hide with the proper colored marker. The back doesn't look too good. However,  as bad as it looks, it's so much better than the 7H89 Guest I own. Funny thing, I guess no one at Telechron figured these clock would still be running 80 years after they were built.  I'm sure when it was new, the Textileather was very handsome.

cable ulysses

• Telechronie
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 11:58:35 PM »
The gold lines, yeah, that's what separates the men from the boys.

My Advocate is in pretty good shape so I don't have to worry about that much restoration.  I've looked at them and I believe these lines  are done with dies and gold leaf similar to the way gilt is stamped on books.  I had a project with a bookbinder once he he was skilled in this.  For what we did, and I think what would be necessary here, was to create metal dies or stamps similar to what would have been done in the letterpress days, and then stamped the gold leaf on the leather.  It would be a disaster to try to do that with an ink pen or paint brush.  It would look ghetto.

Good luck.  I don't know how well any treatment would make the plastic more pliable.  Once it de-polymerizes, game over.  I think.

Pappy

• Arch Telechron Elder
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 05:44:20 AM »
Sorry, I read "tracking down" instead of "tacking down".  Saddle soap?

19and41

• Telechronie
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 02:10:27 PM »
Here is a source for Tolex with pics of each finish.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/grill_cloth_tolex_piping

jon.ing@verizon.net

• Clock Talker 2nd Class
  • Jon
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 12:13:06 PM »
Here is a picture of the finished project. That is not a smudge on the face, just a reflection.  My wife did the following to get the Textileather in to decent shape.

1) She coated the surface with a leather furniture restorer.  She told me that the Textileather is more like paper, so she applied only a light amount, twice.  The idea was to soften the material as much as possible, before gluing it down.  The restorer had only a limited effect, as this isn't real leather, but it did get the surface looking better, and a little more pliable. She then covered the clock body with wax paper to keep dust from sticking to it while it dried.

2) She glued down the peeling pieces with rubber cement, which was the most non caustic glue she could think of.

It came out pretty well, and I am hoping it holds up for a while.

Pappy

• Arch Telechron Elder
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 06:21:23 AM »
Looks like a brand new Advocate.  Good work!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk