Author Topic: Magnavox 1ST625 Stereo Console  (Read 196 times)

19and41

• Telechronie
Magnavox 1ST625 Stereo Console
« on: January 26, 2018, 02:39:30 PM »
A few weeks before Christmas I found my next console radio phonograph.  I have been working to get the filtering capacitors replaced with new ones and I had finished that and set about reinstalling the components.  It has subassemblies that are much like the later component devices one would purchase separately to make up a home stereo.  The unit came on and had no dramatic failures, it just would pass any audio to the speakers.   I traced it down to the receiver/ preamp and then to it's output amplifier tube.  The filament failed in the tube, the first time that has happened to me in 25 years.  Purchased another on Ebay.  It's something to see how much extra people spend on not much more than sophistry in the tubes' heritage.  I just can't afford to feed such fancies.

19and41

• Telechronie
Re: Magnavox 1ST625 Stereo Console
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 10:05:31 AM »
Well, that tube wasn't the fix for it and it has taken a while to get it sorted out.  I got it up and running yesterday and I Have found these things are vastly underrated as far as their audio strength and quality.  It will shake the house and rattle the windows with no distortion.  It's FM receiver is quite sensitive as well, getting stations my other receivers need amplified antennas to get.  It's turntable will need further work, so I've set up a temporary platform for my laptop music library.

19and41

• Telechronie
Re: Magnavox 1ST625 Stereo Console
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 02:33:58 PM »
after operating the unit for awhile, The Original receiver's  (one of 3 modular assemblies that make up the stereo) FM band drifted and could not be aligned back into spec.  To this end, I found a likely replacement unit on Ebay.  It was substantially off frequency as well, but it was able to be brought back into line.  I intend to restore the other receiver to proper operation.  The audio amplifier is working great though.  I was told that digital audio would sound weak on the console, but it performs better with it than my component stereo.  It has been worth the time and effort it has cost.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk