Author Topic: Big Telechron Wood Box Wall Clock  (Read 669 times)

cable ulysses

• Telechronie
Re: Big Telechron Wood Box Wall Clock
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2017, 10:43:33 AM »
Was the finish on the hands on these clocks originally glossy or flat?

Because of your discussion in this thread, I pulled out a similar clock I had awaiting work.  I do not have the movement you have--which I think was a great find--and so mine is most likely not as early but still quite old.  The hands are definitely a flat or matte finish, even in the "protected" area near the cannon.  Mine is painted steel, which fact is clearly visible in the areas where the paint has chipped off.  Not blued.

Best wishes and Merry Christmas to you and all.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 01:53:59 AM by cable ulysses »

Larry

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2017, 02:01:11 PM »
Was the finish on the hands on these clocks originally glossy or flat?
The hands are definitely a flat or matte finish, even in the "protected" area near the cannon.  Mine is painted steel, which fact is clearly visible in the areas where the paint has chipped off.  Not blued.

This is becoming more and more interesting.  The hands on mine are aluminum.  I will probably sand them down and spray with with flat black spray paint.  I have a spare can in the basement.

I have been gradually working on the case.  Removing the slopped and splattered paint is proving to be quite a challenge.

Thank You

Larry

AJC

• Telechronie
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 09:06:15 AM »
Mine are flat but I guess they may have originally been semi gloss.

Larry

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 10:28:58 AM »
I think that I am more that half way through the work on the case, and I have been trying to carefully clean some of the dirt and smudges from the dial with a microfiber cloth and tiny amounts of water.  The hands look nice now after a coat of flat black spray paint. 

From what I have seen online, The "Warren Clock Company" changed its name to "Warren Telechron" in 1926, and the patent application for the movement was filed in 1926, so if nobody mixed the parts in my clock, it would have been made in 1926.

On the inside of the box, near the outer edge opposite the hinged side, there is a small brass bracket.  On the edge of the door, opposite the bracket, there is an empty hole which must have once been filled with some sort of latch which engaged the bracket in the case.  Can someone show me what type of latch would have been there and possibly where I can obtain a replacement?  I am attaching a picture of the bracket in the case.

Thank You

Larry

Larry

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 10:42:57 AM »
Also, I am thinking about buying and adapting one of these sweep hands: [url]https://www.ebay.com/itm/222393699008/url] for this clock.  It really looks like it is missing a sweep hand.  What do you think?  Does someone here have a more appropriate sweep hand that they can spare?

Thank You

Larry

ChefK

• Clock Talker 2nd Class
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2017, 07:10:16 AM »
Larry--nice discussion of adapting that sweep hand here:

http://telechron.net/forager/index.php?topic=3205.0

ChefK

• Clock Talker 2nd Class
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2017, 08:13:14 AM »
Here are two views of what the little ball catch looks like on my 201...

Larry

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2017, 09:37:52 AM »
Here are two views of what the little ball catch looks like on my 201...

ChefK,

Thank you for being on the ball :)

I recalled seeing that discussion about the sweep hand.  I think that I will try something similar.

Larry

Larry

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 09:28:29 AM »
I bought glass for this clock yesterday, at another shop which wanted $12.50 for it, and I reassembled the clock this morning.  It is still awaiting a ball catch for the door though.  The clock is sitting on my living room floor now running.  Finding a proper place for it will be tricky.  It would nice if the dial looked better, but I suppose that it isn't entirely bad for a 92 year old.

Larry

Cyclometer

• Telechronie
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 12:11:46 PM »
How about over the mantle?

Yeah, I know, two of mine are Hammond's but they look great!

Larry

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 02:11:58 PM »
How about over the mantle?

Yeah, I know, two of mine are Hammond's but they look great!

I think that you mean "mantel", but I have neither.  I have nowhere to put a mantel either.

I really like that illuminated Hammond.  Those clocks sell for really big prices.  Someone has been trying recently to sell one with its movement and hands replaced with junk on ebay (or is it Etsy?)

Larry

Larry

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2018, 02:08:54 PM »
I hung the clock on my living room wall, displacing the 1H1615.  I still need to find a 1/4 ball catch for the door.

Larry

Pat_L

• Telechronie
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2018, 02:58:54 PM »
Larry,
I found some of these catches in a parts drawer.  The barrel is 0.330" in diameter.  If you want one to try, just send your address to me.

Pat L.
Art and Service      :::::::     Always Observatory Time

Larry

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2018, 03:37:58 PM »
Larry,
I found some of these catches in a parts drawer.  The barrel is 0.330" in diameter.  If you want one to try, just send your address to me.

Pat L.

Pat L.,

Thank you for the offer, but I think that 0.33" is a bit too big to fit into the hole.  I actually bought some 5 mm ball catches from an Amazon seller in Hong Kong.  They took something almost a month to arrive, and they are a bit too small, but I wrapped one in aluminum tape and stuffed it into the hole.  It more or less does the job, but the top edge of back door rubs on the inside of the case, so the door doesn't open easily anyway.  The clock is still hanging and running on my living room wall.

BTW, the large Simplex clock is apparently still available (https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/atq/d/simplex-school-clock/6483893891.html).  If anyone here is interested in it, I can contact the seller who is less than three miles from here.  I expect that he is willing to entertain offers.

Larry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk