Author Topic: GE 8113 - Time Scan  (Read 9345 times)

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
GE 8113 - Time Scan
« on: July 29, 2009, 07:57:02 PM »
I wasn't sure if this belonged in this thread or stuff & junk, anyway, I wanted to get a flip clock to see how they worked, so here it is... like it or not...

First, the case..., all wood, made in Japan.  Crystal and bezel, all plastic...probably Japanese manufacture as well...

I guess this would have been a GE 8S113...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:39:57 PM by Kid Clock »

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
Re: GE 8113 - Flip Clock
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 07:58:21 PM »
Next, the insides...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:40:37 PM by Kid Clock »

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 08:00:04 PM »
note the mechanism...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:41:23 PM by Kid Clock »

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 08:01:12 PM »
a view from the top and the tag...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:41:56 PM by Kid Clock »

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 08:02:28 PM »
Finally, the cleaned-up unit... it actually keeps time very well, paid $18.98 total.  Now I need to find a junker alarm GE flip unit to swap in illumination for this guy.  It did not feature a lamp...it should have...

I guess they figured it wouldn't need a light because it'd be settin' on top of one of them new fangled color teevee units underneath one of them cool lookin' swag lamps... 

It's kinda the the in-between of the Telechron sweep second hand and the modern quartz.  The Telechron makes no sound, the quartz clicks, annoyingly, every second... this thing makes a little swoosh sound every minute...

(even in 1968...when,
The Green Bay Packers win Super Bowl II
Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In debuts on NBC
Vietnam War: The Tet Offensive begins,
The film version of 2001: A Space Odyssey premieres in Washington, D.C.
Martin Luther King, Jr. is shot dead at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, Tennessee
U.S. presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy is shot at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles, California
60 Minutes debuts on CBS
The Beatles release their White Album.
Apollo Program: U.S. spacecraft Apollo 8 enters orbit around the Moon...

the good old Warren rotor technology is still the heart of this GE clock unit..., amazing...)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:42:31 PM by Kid Clock »

Boinker

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 07:25:57 AM »
wire up a cheap diode style light inside that you get from radio shack.  for a buck or two it will refract enough light  so you can read the numbers.  you wont be damaging the clock in any way.
   some flips came with a set up like i described.

Geezer

• Senior Clock Talker
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 03:52:32 PM »
wire up a cheap diode style light inside that you get from radio shack.  for a buck or two it will refract enough light  so you can read the numbers.  you wont be damaging the clock in any way.
   some flips came with a set up like i described.

I believe some of them also used neon bulbs which you can also get from 'Radio Scrap.' Splice it to the wires, tape it in place and that's all she wrote...

Geezer
He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

Boinker

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 04:34:27 PM »
geezer, i think we are talking about the same item, and i just called it the wrong name.
i am dumb when it comes to electronics.
i am better with things you can take a screw driver to. *^@
   i actually used one of these bulbs in a telechron westy chime. i replaced the red/ white power loss indicator
with one of these lights for my old mom . she needed an night light and wanted to hear what time it was
all day and night long, so i took a plain cased westy and did my thing.
she used it for ten years till she died last august. my sister took the clock. i asked her if she wanted back to original....... as a far as she is concerned now.....it IS original.
so it stays modified.
   little red glow all the time.  and you can read the time or hear the time all the time.

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 08:49:35 PM »
I added the light...here it is... designed to run on 110volts...

One directional LED for each set of flips...looks quite official...

I'm thinking of adding a light sensor switch,... what the heck, this thing is already frankensteined, might as well keep going...

...might add some racing stripes...while I'm at it...

(The image makes the light look brighter than it actually is.  It's actually a nice soft glow...)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:43:45 PM by Kid Clock »

Boinker

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 10:37:48 AM »
yep, a soft romantic glow that you can substitute for candlelight when you and your wife have that
special occasion dinner at home.
   she should serve mahi mahi (dolphin)  i.e. something with flippers. ;D

Geezer

• Senior Clock Talker
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 12:16:03 PM »
Tom, that is an excellent retrofit. The newly acquired illumination really makes that clock in my opinion.

Now, if I could figure how to wire in some LED's on my favorite AB-712 so that the face is actually illuminated enough to read the time at night! It is frustrating to try and read the time at around 3am and all I can see is a rectangular halo around the face and nothing in the center but grey fuzz!

And no, it is not the  result of my imbibing the night before...

Geezer
He who works with his hands is a Labourer. He who works with his hands and his head is a Craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an Artist. -St. Francis of Assisi

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 12:24:25 PM »
This light circuit was actually for the Morning Star or 711.  The idea was to have to illumination sources to go "around" the hand spindle, two high power LED's, one on each side of the spindle.  On my Morning Star, I found a Twinkle face that had sufficient translucence that I was able to stick with the stock light bulb illumination set-up.  This circuit was designed to overwhelm the defective transulcence with extra candle power...  

It worked out good for this application.

If anyone wants the circuit diagram, I'll post it...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 01:32:35 PM by Kid Clock »

Boinker

• Telechron Elder
messing with original designs
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 02:26:34 PM »
any retrofitting of the 711 series clocks would entail removing the milk glass diffuser, and replacing it with plain
glass or mounting your small light bulbs right where the glass used to be  into clear plastic acrylic
to hold the bulbs in place.
two LEDS would work to remove the shadow.   the real problem with the 711 is the low voltage/ wattage circuit
with the corresponding light bulb.  the Breton and the Circe use 120v light bulbs.  no problemo reading them at night from anywhere in the room.

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 03:06:31 PM »
Boinkster...the LED's are way, way, way more powerful and cooler than the good ol' 2.5 volt lamps...
(but frankenstein...) and the diffuser glass could remain...

(you can even sand the lenses of the LED's to created the diffusion.)

Igor...hand me some of that 1000 grit sand paper...heh heh heh
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 03:14:43 PM by Kid Clock »

Geezer

• Senior Clock Talker
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 05:07:27 PM »
The brighter white LEDs tend to give a bluish cast. I don't know how that would look in a 711. It looks right at home in your flip clock. Maybe a yellow LED would be a shade warmer (like Donovan's "Mellow Yellow.") But the yellow ones might not be bright enough to get through the frosted glass and throw light on the face enough to illuminate it.

I really also love the warmish glow of the Morning Star face with the rheostat set at half brightness. I have it in place of the 712 for now. It has a kind of relaxing warmth to it. I also have a more modern GE clock (7361-4) on the other side. It black with a translucent silvered face. During the day it looks like opaque silver, but at night a neon light behind it shines through the silver and gives a nice warm glow to the face enough to be able to read the time by. This one is a very cheap but clever design in my opinion.

Geezer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk