Author Topic: My First Console Radio  (Read 943 times)

19and41

• Telechronie
My First Console Radio
« on: December 12, 2015, 11:20:30 AM »
A Magnavox 153B "Hepplewhite".  It is an AM and shortwave with an optional concealed FM tuner.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 01:38:37 PM by 19and41 »

19and41

• Telechronie
Re: My First Console Radio
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 02:02:59 PM »
I completed the electronic restoration last week.  In the upper center of the dial you can see a tuning "eye" tube.  Here it is shown when not on a station, then when on a station, when the "eye closes".

Pappy

• Arch Telechron Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 10:07:45 AM »
Should there be a mirror back behind it?   Looks like a good spot for a bar!
What this country needs is a good $5 parts clock.

19and41

• Telechronie
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 10:40:28 AM »
That was the way it came from the factory.  they "dolled up" the basic configuration in several different ways to match different furniture styles.  Here is a period illustration of the unit.

19and41

• Telechronie
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 01:50:50 PM »
I put up a hidden aerial for it under the soffit on the west facing rear of the house.  The shortwave radio is a nice performer, as is the unit's amplifier.  it sounds excellent with my jazz and big band music.  It gives clear sound with recent music as well, just no stereo separation.

19and41

• Telechronie
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 01:17:00 PM »
Using the shortwave receiver, I was able to get Radio New Zealand International and send for a QSL confirmation of reception.  Not bad for a 70 year old radio.

Larry

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 06:18:22 PM »
Using the shortwave receiver, I was able to get Radio New Zealand International and send for a QSL confirmation of reception.  Not bad for a 70 year old radio.

When I was a teenager (back in the early 1900s), Radio NZ and the NZBC national shortwave service came in clearly in northern Illinois.  Because of the locations on the planet, SW signals travel well between New Zealand and the USA.  I also remember the Sri Lanka Broadcasting Corp.'s Asia service and Radio Tahiti having strong signals regularly at my house.  I still have an album of QSLs from international broadcasters and various things that the radio stations sent, including communist propaganda publications from the USSR and its puppet countries and hate-filled psychotic propaganda magazines from Iran.

Larry

19and41

• Telechronie
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 01:58:48 PM »
I was able to get Radio Australia until they curtailed their service last year. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk