Author Topic: New Haven Flip Clock  (Read 2634 times)

Larry

• Telechron Elder
New Haven Flip Clock
« on: July 13, 2014, 02:30:32 PM »
For $40 at the flea market this morning, I picked up a 1930s electric flip clock which looks just like the second one on this: link page, but mine has been covered with blue-green paint (which I am in the process of trying to strip).  It appears that these clocks tend to sell for high prices, so I would like to restore mine.  Does anyone here know where I can find information on how these things are assembled?

Thank You

Larry

Russell

• Telechronie
Re: New Haven Flip Clock
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 01:51:47 PM »
Larry,
Does it have a readable patent number.  If it does Google the patent number and look at the submitted drawings and read the accompanying info on it.

Russ

Larry

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 02:24:45 PM »
The patent lookup is a good idea.  There are six patent numbers shown on the tag, and I looked up most of the ones which are not still covered with paint.  For posterity, here is a picture of the case with some of the paint removed and also a picture of the movement.

Larry

cable ulysses

• Telechronie
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 02:33:24 PM »
That is an amazing find.  I would've snapped it up in an instant and asked questions later.  Good luck with it; you ought to be able to psych it out.

AJC

• Telechronie
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 08:04:01 AM »
Great buy! I think one similar to your's went for about $230 on ebay.

Chadakoin

• Clock Talker 2nd Class
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 06:23:07 PM »
Larry,

Lucky find! Looks to be in excellent shape under all that paint. I've owned a few of these New Haven 'Stylis' clocks (still have one). I'm not aware of any internet sources with detailed information about them, but I'd be glad to share reference photos or any other info I have on hand.  Let me know in a PM.

Cheers,
Dana

skruft

• Senior Clock Talker
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 12:57:39 PM »
There are two fairly similar-looking models.

Larry

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 02:41:53 PM »
The clock is no longer.  I cleaned up and oiled the movement the best I could without dismantling it and connected power to let it run for a while outside of the case.  After running well for several minutes, the phenolic gear somehow lost two of its teeth, so the clock will never run again.  I haven't finished stripping the paint off the case, but there is no point in finishing it now.  I hope that I can sell the clock for parts and recover some of my cost.

The Jefferson Golden Secret clock I bought the same day at the flea market doesn't keep time, so I should have stayed home on Sunday.

Larry

AJC

• Telechronie
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 11:17:03 PM »
If you didn't know, there are a lot of videos on you tube re Jefferson "Golden Hour" repair.

Larry

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 07:53:35 AM »
If you didn't know, there are a lot of videos on you tube re Jefferson "Golden Hour" repair.

The Golden Secret is quite a bit different than the Golden Hour.  I did follow the information on a web page about repairing the Golden Secret, but mine still loses time.  I set it up on a display shelf for now with a Golden Hour and a Haddon clock.

Larry

Pat_L

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 12:25:18 PM »
While researching my own New Haven clock, which has a similar mechanism but much different case, I came across this website that has an article on them:
https://www.flipclockfans.com/forum/articles/3852-the-new-haven-time-flip-clock

and also has a youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuPKMgXDrDc
Art and Service      :::::::     Always Observatory Time

AJC

• Telechronie
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2020, 01:47:40 PM »
I know this question is about 5 1/2 years late, but how did you get the movement out of the case?

Larry

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2020, 01:57:22 PM »
I don't remember much, and I no longer have the clock, but I think that the first step was removing the two screws on the bottom which held the wood piece on the far end of the glass.  There was also a metal cover on the other end.

Larry

AJC

• Telechronie
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 07:32:55 PM »
Yup, peeled the old felt off bottom, took out the 2 screws concealed under it, removed the wood piece and it came right out. Thanks anyway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk