Author Topic: Coils, coils, coils...  (Read 3147 times)

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
Re: Coils, coils, coils...
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 11:44:41 AM »
When buying replica plugs on ebay, check to see if the replicas are polarized... here are some I would avoid...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 12:05:50 PM by Kid Clock »

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 11:50:15 AM »
Back to original cords, the Down Bro 700 is operating with an original Telechron cloth cord that I have deemed "safe".  I run it periodically, but it makes me nervous.  After I complete cleaning this unit, and I if I decide to run it full time, I will replace this cord with a modern cord.

I wonder if they sold they the white 700's with this color cord?

Tip: Note the hot pot pad.  This is such a handy item to have on your repair bench/desk.  I use it all the time for almost everything.  Place a clock face down, no worries...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 02:42:57 PM by Kid Clock »

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 11:57:05 AM »
Back to splicing in new, modern power cords onto old, old, coils.

Here's a before and after of the cord replacement on the venerable "Unknown" wall clock.  Both of these coils are non-tab versions with the leads coming straight out of the coil wrappings.  The old wiring was very stiff and rigid.  Bending these leads could have easily damaged the coils.

So, I tried to keep the leads in their original orientation.  Note that the connections are all soldered lap joints with heat shrink tubing covering all of the work.

Quite tidy, if I say so myself...  ;)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:53:26 PM by Kid Clock »

henny

• Telechron Elder
    • Telechron Rotor Site
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 12:07:49 PM »
18 gauge stranded wire is good for 7 amps.  (more then enough for clocks!!)

However most of the modern 2 conductor 18 gauge PVC zip cord uses SPT-2 (ie thick) insulation vs the original which was SPT-1.  Sometimes SPT-2 simply won't fit in the original hole/grommet in the case. If possible try to find SPT-1.

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 12:10:37 PM »
I don't have one, but I was wondering if neon illuminated clocks are polarized...

henny

• Telechron Elder
    • Telechron Rotor Site
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 12:16:26 PM »
I don't have one, but I was wondering if neon illuminated clocks are polarized...

No they're not.  However using a 3 wire cord with ground attached to the clock's metal frame/coil frame would make any of these old clock's safer.

henny

• Telechron Elder
    • Telechron Rotor Site
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 12:21:16 PM »
Here is a one of the plugs that midwestsky gave me.  It's a replica, I think, but is is non-polarized...

If you use these squatty style plugs with cloth covered wire you should add a whipping thread layer to the end of the wire where it enters the plug.  This can keep it from fraying.

I thought someone posted that tip here but can't find it.

This describes whipping.  (same concept works for cloth covered wire vs. rope)

http://www.ropeworks.biz/reader/whipping.pdf

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 12:29:28 PM »
...and, another method... I melt the cut end of the rayon cloth with the flame of a lighter, then I place a small length of heat shrink over the end of the cloth to lock it down onto the cord.  Works like champ.  The next time I do one, I'll photo it. (Too lazy to take anything apart...)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 02:44:32 PM by Kid Clock »

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 01:14:44 PM »
I hate to be repetitious, but this "Cord Replacement-101" link needs to be in this thread...

http://www.telechron.net/forager/index.php?topic=1048.msg11709#msg11709

(after re-reading the entirety of this older thread... man!.. we used to really hammer each other... that was fun back then.... and SDP and boinker were real a$$holes... heh, heh...)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 12:32:23 PM by Kid Clock »

shipnerd

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 04:49:57 PM »
...and, another method... I melt the cut end of the rayon cloth with the flame of a lighter, then I place a small length of heat shrink over the end of the cloth to lock it down onto the cord.  Works like champ.  The next time I do one, I'll photo it. (Too lazy to take anything apart...)

I use a little Elmer's glue to keep the ends of rayon cord from fraying after cutting. Never tried any heat shrink.
"Well aren't you just a fun-filled little lollipop triple-dipped in psycho."

Pappy

• Arch Telechron Elder
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 05:55:29 AM »
I used to use epoxy 'til my old master looked at me sideways for it.  Ever since I've been whipping the ends.  I don't know ho they were whipped at the factory but mine don't look anything like it.  (I know.  I should be posting a pic at this point.)  One side looks flat and the other side looks like a french braid.
What this country needs is a good $5 parts clock.

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2016, 09:56:00 PM »
Lots of good stuff here...

Downunder Brother

• Telechronie
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2016, 08:38:19 AM »
Still learning - keep up the great info, tips and tricks please.

Kid Clock

• Telechron Elder
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2018, 11:24:51 PM »
I hate to be repetitious, but this "Cord Replacement-101" link needs to be in this thread...

http://www.telechron.net/forager/index.php?topic=1048.msg11709#msg11709

(after re-reading the entirety of this older thread... man!.. we used to really hammer each other... that was fun back then.... and SDP and boinker were real a$$holes... heh, heh...)

For those newcomers, I periodically bring back some of these old threads...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk